ABOUT MALARIA ERADICATION AND SAFE HEALTH INITIATIVE (MESHI) OF NIGERIA
Malaria Eradication and Safe Health Initiative (MESHI) is a nongovernmental organisation (a civil society organisation, CSO). It is registered with both the Federal Government of Nigeria and the Anambra State Government. The primary focus of MESHI as a nongovernmental organisation is on health. And health is all encompassing as many factors influence and promote health. MESHI started as a Malaria Eradication and Good Health Project (MEGHP) at the Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka, in the year 2003, with a base at the Department of Parasitology and Entomology of the then Faculty of Natural Sciences now Faculty of Biosciences. In 2004, MESHI partnered with the Anambra State Government through the Ministry of Health during the activities marking the year’s Roll Back Malaria (RBM) Programme. Specifically, MESHI drove the Road Show for the programme and mounted a very educative drama on burden and control of malaria especially the use of mosquito insecticidal-treated bed nets. Malaria is a major public health programme in Nigeria and MESHI wants to play significant role in its control, elimination and eradication.
MESHI is a member of a number of a network of organisations including ACOMIN (Civil Society in Malaria Control, Immunization and Nutrition), Cancer Network. MESHI has successful partnered with the Anambra State Government and a number of national and international organisations including the World Health Organization (WHO), Global Fund (GF), UNICEF, UK-DfID (SuNMaP- Support to Nigeria Malaria Programme), Society for Family Health (SFH), Malaria No More (Cameroon), Schools, etc. on health programmes. It has participated in many Radio and Television programmes all geared towards educating and sensitizing the public for better health.
MESHI has a structured leadership. At the apex is the Board of Trustees followed by the Management Team. There is the General Assembly of all registered members. We also have staff and Volunteers. With time, MESHI shall have chapters in other states of the federation. MESHI was founded by a Dennis Nnanna Aribodor, a Professor of Public Health Parasitology of the Department of Parasitology and Entomology, Nnamdi Azikiwe University. Prof. Aribodor hails from Azia in Ihiala LGA and serves as the Chairman, Board of Trustees and Executive Director.
VISION: To be the foremost Novgovernmental Organisation in the fight against Malaria and other diseases of Public Health Importance.
MISSION: To use available resources to propagate, advocate and implement Programmes towards Malaria Control, Elimination & Eradication; and ensure a health society for all.
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES OF MESHI NIGERIA
- To exert its fullest abilities, and energies to the cause of malaria eradication
- To ensure the control, prevention and eradication of other diseases of the tropics ravaging sub-Saharan Africa such as HIV/AIDs, Tuberculosis, Yellow fever, Onchocerciasis (River Blindness), Schistosomiasis (Bilharziasis), Trypanosomiaisis, Leprosy, Poliomyelitis, Worm infections, and other human tropical diseases as well as diseases of livestock that could be harmful to man.
- To help reduce the rate of morbidity among our people especially the vulnerable group including pregnant women and children as well as the aged.
- To advance through enlightenment the cause of control and prevention of malaria and other tropical diseases.
- To periodically ventilate new directions on perceptions on the steps aimed at tropical disease through organisation of seminars, workshops, symposia to ensure the curbing or arrest of these diseases.
- To wage a vigorous war on the prevalence of these disease through the instrumentality of Radio, Television, the Print media, handbills, Posters and Leaflets.
- To go into fruitful partnership with other brother/sister Non-Governmental Organizations involved in the promoting health.
- To ensure that the nation’s policy makers and political leaders or Governments are availed the outcomes on findings of various research works, interactive from symposia, conferences, seminars, workshops and meetings towards proper planning of Health system.
CONTACT: email@example.com | www.meshi-ng.org | +234-803 667 5293